Friday, January 4, 2013

DIY: Cloth Bookmarks


I remember when we were younger and would frequent Waldenbooks (RIP), and after we found our reading delight would stand at the swivel rack of bookmarks and admire them so. I seem to remember a special unicorn bookmark, that belonged to Christine (maybe...?) that I would covet.

Makes me sad to think what that bookmark-enthused little girl would say to present-day me knowing I use thing such as receipts, torn off pieces of paper, bobby pins, and dog eared pages to mark my place. I don't think she'd be happy, and that's unacceptable.

Present-day me is getting it together and just made some fun cloth bookmarks to tickle her place marking fancy...


I love these little guys (or gals, just saying). They are easy to make, you can put fabric scraps to use, and depending on your time availability you can add all sorts of accents to them. Maybe you want to embroider a mystical creature on it, personalize it with someones name, add a tassel, or make it in a recognizable shape. (I know many of you are thinking of all the cat shapes you can come up with, and that's okay.)

The basics you'll need to start are fabric, iron on backing, iron on fusing web, and of course an iron.


Step 1: Pick out your fabric


Step 2: Make your pattern. (I know this is a really simple shape but I figured go classic first then get crazy with it.)


Step 3: Cut a piece of backing big enough to fit your pattern, and iron it on to your fabric (make sure you have enough fabric to fold around the backing).

Step 4: Once the backing is on, tear off some fusing web and cover the backing, fold the fabric over and iron to fuse it together.


Step 4: Trim the edges, at this point you'll want to pull out your pattern and use it as a guide to cut.


Step 5: You're done!

Pretty easy right? Well it has to be, you can't waste all your time making book marks instead of reading.  Oh and here are a few suggestions; Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH and The Haunting of Hill House.


Happy Reading!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for share this information with us, I always come across this amazing post.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...