Saturday, August 24, 2013

Insta-sista


As the summer winds down, we've been filling up on day trips and mini adventures. This young tiger is Berani (I think) from the Point Defiance Zoo in Tacoma. Mom and I took an afternoon to wander around and were lucky enough to see the teenage tiger boys, Dumai and Berani, frolicking in their pen, playing in the water, and jumping into the bamboo. They were a hoot, like really giant kittens...

Speaking of kittens, this is my birthday card from Catherine. It's by Cat Seto of Ferme a Papier. Cat does superior, clever work, and she has an MFA in creative writing. Hell yes, Cat Seto. Also, what am I doing with my life? 


Mom, Catherine, and I took a quick midweek trip to Port Townsend. We ate delicious pesto, tomato, mushroom pizza at Waterfront Pizza and bummed around town. Mom and I ate doughnuts from a street vendor. Catherine hates doughnuts. Sometimes she eats a little of one and regrets it because she says they make the roof of her mouth feel like it's covered in lard. You know what? It probably is because: doughnuts. 


I realized this week that I have an app for adding text and art to your pictures! What untold discoveries are waiting a couple screens into my unexplored apps? This is a glorious Tacoma sunset (unfiltered, son!) and the Over app. It's pretty handy, if you go in for that sort of thing. And, what the hey, sometimes I do. 


Of course, now I'm on the lookout for pictures which could use a little text. This is from Friday's backyard blackberry picking session. So far, I've frozen about 6 quarts of blackberries, and I think Friday's collection will yield at least another five quarts. Blammo! On a roll. I only pay the price in stained hands, disgustingly stained cuticles (and that does not wash away, my friends, it must be worn away) and tiny thorns embedded in my fingertips. Boo. No good. But then again: wild blackberries. 


You can find me on Instagram @christinesuzanne or on the VSCO grid @christinenicolai. Hey, let's be friends.

2 comments:

  1. Christine, those berries are more than worth the occasional prick or scratch. Stains. Have you tried rubbing your fingers with a lemon wedge?

    Picking techniques to reach the bunches way up in the middle of the patch - do you walk the plank or balance on the rungs of an extension ladder?

    Point Defiance Zoo was a twice a month (we were members) excursion for us... thank you for making these connections to home for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip, Linda! I haven't tried lemon wedges on berry stains, but I should. Seems easier than explaining to coworkers why I'm all stained up or trying to hide my hands until my cuticles look better. :)

      As to techniques for getting those out-of-the-way berries...I'm wary of ladders, so I usually try to wend my way through any pockets in the blackberry bushes. I've gotten pretty good at slipping my hands over and around brambles, but when something's too high to reach, I've started clipping those branches down. Cheating!

      I'm glad that you're able to get a little Pacific Northwest from our blog. We're always excited to hear from you!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...